Tuesday, July 3, 2012

The Never Ending Heatwave and a Question About Student Supplies

It is still hot, hot, hot here in Kansas. I H.A.T.E. being hot. I hope and pray that this heat wave comes to an end within the next two weeks. I can not imagine setting my room up in weather this hot. Don't worry, our school is air conditioned, but my classroom has no outside walls. I don't even have a window :( My room USED to have a window, but when they added on to our school, a wall was built OVER my window. Since my room is now totally insulated it feels like an inferno a sauna. Have I mentioned that I H.A.T.E. being hot? I have complained to anyone and everyone in our building. Even the kids complain about how hot it is in our room. So, the solution to the heat problem in my room? A wall fan. Yes, a wall fan. That is what was deemed appropriate to cool off my room. Seriously folks, I can't wear half of my wardrobe to work because I can only wear my spring and summer clothes. The wall fan DOES. NOT. WORK. I also brought in my own fan to keep on my desk. I have it on and blowing in my face at all times. I am laughed at on a regular basis by any adult who enters my room because of this. Lisen has referred to my room as a "wind tunnel". It may be windy, but it's still hot. I may have even had a student ask "Can we turn the fans down? My papers are blowing off my desk!" and I MAY have responded "No, but we can put your box of crayons on your papers to keep them from blowing off." I know, don't everyone go running out to nominate me for "Teacher of the Year".

Due to my dread of returning to my inferno classroom, I have made a list of the things that I need to get done for the new school year that can be done in the coolness of my own home. One of the items on my list was to get the baskets/tubs that I want to use for storing the years worth of school supplies that my students bring in at "Sneak-a-Peek" (what we call our "Meet the Teacher" night). Instead of collecting their supplies on the first day of school, I will be doing it the night they come to meet me. They all bring their supplies to put in their desks anyways, so I figured why not do it then! I am going to have my kids go on a scavenger hunt around my room to find where each school supply item needs to be put. I have some clues that the kids will be given so that they can find the location of each basket. The baskets will be near important areas of the room (class library, writing center, pencil sharpener, etc...). This will allow for the students and their parents to see all the nooks and crannies of our room. It will also save me TONS of time on the first day of school since I won't have to round up 20something of each item on the school supply list!

Here is a picture of a few of the baskets and tubs I will have around my room.


I found the baskets and tubs at Dollar Tree a few months ago. I bought two of each of the ones in the picture. I am hoping they still have some because I would love to buy a few more :)

I collect the kids' school supplies because our student desks do not offer much in terms of storage. They basically have room for their books, folders, notebooks, and a small pencil box. So, I have a question for you: How do you go about collecting school supplies at the beginning of the year? Where do you store all of it? I would love to know!

Glitter Words
[Glitterfy.com - *Glitter Words*]
Pin It

3 comments:

  1. I collect school supplies in containers, but haven't had much luck with that because then it usually overflows & becomes a mess. I'm thinking that it was that the containers were just too small. I need to hit up the Dollar Tree for bigger containers. I like your ideas on organizing school supplies! :)
    Lisa
    Learning Is Something to Treasure

    ReplyDelete
  2. Fun organization! Dollar Tree is so wonderful. :)
    Erica
    Sprinkles to Kindergarten
    erica_crowder0612@yahoo.com

    ReplyDelete
  3. I organize bins on the carpet, send everyone with their things to their seat as they walk in, then call them one at a time to organize their materials and sort into bins. It's worked quite well the past few years and then I don't have to worry about sorting it all. I then stack the bins on top of our closet so that I can grab materials as needed!

    Blessings,

    Jessica Stanford
    Mrs. Stanford's Class
    I hope that you'll join me for my giveaway ♥

    ReplyDelete